Monday, 27 October 2014

New poem: I will not walk




in the shoes
of women before me

Imoinda
enslaved for her
sexuality
her body controlled
her body sold
in dying
her body
lifeless
life unlived

Nora
doll of the house
all for dressing
a little dance
eating raisins
being a little spend thrift
her
biggest crime

Ms Havisham
abandoned
her best companions
the spiders crawling
on her cake
and she’s blessed
for the cobwebs
laced around
the windows  
where  
spying
observing
mean
eyes
reflect

Louisa
minders of the mind
redirected
away from
unicorns
witches
flowers
expression
bottled
up
in crates
not to ship
them away
but dumb at sea
at least you lived
and developed
a mind of your
own

Ophelia
takes Hamlet’s insults
didn’t ever think to be
rude back
which I’m sure
would have made
feel much better
if she had
rather then taking
the river for a bed

Desdemona
just wanted to play
the submissive
when he hit
she didn’t hit back
was plain sorry
look where that got her?

Juliet
you should have rebelled
worn a spiky jacket
and smoked
surely your parents
would have noticed
something was wrong
or
just left with Romeo
let them welcome
your empty bed
at least you wouldn’t
have ended up dead

Miranda
plays commander
to the so called
‘native savage’
acting colonizer
everybody hates those
now days
only if you’d thought
without your father
in your head
then you would have
actually
owned intellect

I will not walk
in the shoes
of women before me

instead I will wear
my own shoes
on summer drives
along the sea
to cliffs
where wind
combs the grass
to my lover
who’ll feed me
artisan food
with his hands
and at dusk
witness
my flesh come
alive
under
his touch


No comments:

Post a Comment